Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Emergency Blog Post

I had committed to posting every day, and here it is ten minutes to midnight. I fell asleep in my hotel around 7 pm, and only just woke up.

So, here's the puzzler: does it matter that I'm squeeking in a tiny post a few minutes before pumpkin time, just so I can live by the letter of my committement? Or does it undermine the committment to live by the letter and not the spirit?

My experience with the SKS says, Yes, you should live by the letter, because living by the letter is one (but not the only) way to live the spirit of the committement.

So, this one is for the letter . . . stayed tuned for the Spirit, but shortly after midnight . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home