Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Things the kids say . . .

Malcolm:
"EE-aah" (Aidan.)
"EE-ahh" (Aidan's, the possessive form. Used to indicate Aidan's stuff, like "Aidan's bike")
"MU-mah" (Spoon. Don't ask me how he gets there. That's what it means. He used to have a spoon fixation, and carried one everywhere, even took it to bed, and woke up screaming when he couldn't find it again.)
"NO." (A big favorite.)
"Anya" (Anya the dog.)
"Anya" (hands, as in, "Let's wash hands")
"Anya" (hair, as in, "Let's wash my hands on my hair." Or maybe it's "Let's wash my hands on Anya's fur." I think this must be tonal language.)
"Poo" (Poop, as in, "I need to poop", or "I just pooped" or, "Look, there's some poop." He's not much for tense just yet.)
"Poo" (Boots. Little yellow ones that make you go Awwww.)
"Na-na" (Nurse. Could just mean, "I'm thirsty", but more with the connotation, "Jesus, I'm wiped out. I need a drink."
"Daddy. Daddy. Daddy. Daddy. Daddy. Daddy. Daddy. Daddy. Daddy." (Quit playing Scrabble and come out side and play.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home