Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Blood and Glory

This morning I got word that a software start-up that I had worked for for a number of years was finally sold, and I will finally be cashing in my stock for a signifcant payoff. Not a life-changing amount of money, but better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Within minutes of this news, I found my dog howling in pain in the back yard, trying to pass something that wouldn't pass.

Guess what I spent most of the day thinking about?

Yeah. The dog. My puppy of six years was more important than six years of sweat-equity. It's weird that the events should coincide . . .

The dog is better now, we think, though she's still on a 24-hour poop watch. Our next door neighbor had given her an enormous ham-bone, which we think she must have demolished and eaten, because we can find no sign of it in the yard.

So, in triumph and adversity, remain philosophic.

This, too, shall pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home