Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Old Guy

OK, I stayed out too late at an SKS meeting, and now I'm too fried to write much, especially this close to midnight.

I noticed something tonight. I was in a wine bar in Chapel Hill, and I was looking around at the band, the wait staff, the guy behind the bar, the people I was hanging out with, and was thinking that this looked like a fun, energetic place, and then it dawned on me: I was the oldest person in the whole place. Maybe this shouldn't surprise me: a bar in a college town, duh, of course it's full of young people. But always before there was always some grey-haired biker or balding drunk at the bar to make me feel middle of the road in age. No longer. Now I'm the old one. And I'm only thirty-six.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home