Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

First 100 Days

Somewhere back there I surpassed the 100-post mark. Since everybody makes a big deal about the "first hundred days in office," I thought it would be a good chance to reflect . . .

Well, actually I'm wishing it was a good excuse to cut myself some slack and not post anything, because it's twenty to midnight and I just came back from an SKS meeting and I'm dog tired. But I know that the post-every-day rule is absolutely vital to this whole thing working.

How do I know this is true? The miracle of self-knowledge. If I had a choice about whether I was going to write today or not, I wouldn't write today. I would write . . . later. Sometime. Soon. Really. Let me just finish this really important thing . . .

It literally took me about, gee, a thousand days of trying to write "when I got the time" before I finally got wise and realized that it was going to have to be every day or not at all. Ironically, it's amazing what you can do when you finally realize that you have no choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home