Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

We're #1! . . . um . . . you know, the . . . 'Canes?

So, the Carolina Hurricanes have won the Stanley Cup . . . at a time when the rest of world could apparantly care less. I knew that the public attention would be slightly muted due to the other Cup . . . you know, the World Cup . . . but I had no idea how much until now. When I just went Sports Illustrated to find a story of the victory, one day after it happened, and I had to stare at the home page for about a minute and a half before I could find any link at all . . . and that was just to find the hockey link. Then I click through, expecting to find the story . . . and I spend another 30 seconds just trying to find a link to the story. In web terms one minute is an absolute eternity to spend looking for something.

While Carolina fans are overjoyed, the rest of the world has already moved on . . . if they were even watching at all. I wouldn't know why, except for their opponents in the seven game series. "Edmonton? Where the hell is Edmonton? I don't even know what state that's in." So I imagine everyone else in the U.S. is feeling the same way about the 'Canes. "Carolina . . . ? Isn't that in Chapel Hill?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home