Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Smoked

It's been a looooong week. One of my colleagues is having a baby this week . . . about nine weeks early. Of course he's going through hell . . . Harry and I told him to be with his family, and we'll cover everything. I have no problem making less money because we're down one man in a crisis . . . but I'm covering all of his work this week, in addition to my own, and it's killing me. I'm just not as durable as I used to be when it comes to working unrelenting hours. I feel good about what I'm doing . . . at least I know I'm doing it for the right reasons. And it gives me another occasion, among many, to be thankful for what I have. No matter how exhausted I am, I know someone else is having it a lot worse. Or, as Socrates said, "Luck is when the arrow hits the guy next to you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home