Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Stupid people

Pardon me while I go on a tech support rant. I had an end-user call me about an email issue, and I was trying to give him the URL for the remote connectivity software we use:

"Ok, pull up your web browser and go to www.gotomeeting.com."
"Ok. I'm there."
"Click on the button that says Join a Meeting."
"I don't see it."
"It should be on the left hand side of the screen, right beneath Host a Meeting."
"No, I don't see it."
"Well, let me give you a URL that goes exactly to our meeting (URL follows)."
"No, it says that's an invalid ID."
"Let me read that to you again (URL follows)."
"Yup. That's what I put in."
"And you're putting that in the address bar of your browser, right?"
"Well, I'm putting it into Google."
"..."

I had to count to ten and remind myself that:
  1. He's a salesman over the age of 40.
  2. He probably never had any training whatsoever.
  3. He's only doing what Microsoft, Google, and Yahoo have been trying to brainwash people into doing for the last five years.
  4. Ironically, what he was doing probably worked most of the time.

But then I thought, "This is the internet age, and people have been advertising URLs for the last ten years. He's just stupid."

You be the judge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home