Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas Loot

I had a very good Christmas this year. All of my presents were things I actually wanted:
  • Kierkegaard's Purity of Heart is to Will One Thing
  • Parables of Kierkegaard, edited by Tomas Oden
  • 1776, by David McCullough
  • The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1, by Neil Gaiman
  • How the Mind Works, by Steven Pinker
  • A gift certificate to Audible.com
  • A Garmin StreetPilot c340 (an auto GPS system, given to me by my employer. Kewel.)
  • A sweater. Angora wool, light and sleek.

So, you may notice that it's almost entirely books. Yes, I am such a geek. As an adult male with limited media exposure, limited musical tastes, no sports interests, no tool interests, and no video games . . . I mean, what's left? Underwear, sweaters, and books.

And, I'm not counting all the of my kids' toys that I'm playing with. I'm having a blast with the foam-padded swords, the air hockey table, and even some of the board games. I had a good time playing today. And, apart from the theological significance, that's really what Christmas ought to be about.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home