Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Taking the fifth

This morning, while waiting for a plane, I wrote a post about a transgendered professor at an evangelical college who is now bringing a complain to the EEOC. I thought it was going to be a thoughtful, balanced piece that recognized the plight of the transgendered but was frank and honest about how most people (myself included) find sex changes to be really weird and disturbing.

But I found myself staring at piece, and not really agreeing with it. That happens, sometimes; I'll write an opinion, and before I post I'll realize that it's not right. I guess the truth is I don't know what to make of transgendering. It is, by its very nature, a matter of confusion. The people it affects are confused, or their bodies are confused, and everyone else is confused right along with it.

Anyway, I lost my nerve to take a stand on the matter. I'll just do what most people do, when confronted with a woman who looks like a man trying to be woman . . . mind my own business.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home