Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Christian Left

I heard that Talk of the Nation or some such show was going to be talking about the Christian Left as a force in American culture and politics. It was quite a coincidence, since I just spent the day working with a young woman who fit the bill. She was raised as a Quaker, and had recently returned to her childhood church. In the course of one day, I saw her aquiring video equipment for some production at the church, doing layout for a G.I. "Rights Hotline," planning a "Pasta for Peace" dinner, and networking with some guy from a "Drinking Liberally" club. And all that on top of a stressful IT job.

I had to admire her energy, and was more than a little jealous of her zeal. Unlike so many people working as activists (on the left or the right) she did not have the preachy smug self-righteousness that usually marrs one's purity of intention. Her bias to action, her willingness to do things for others, made her feel more like a kindred spirit to me in spite of the political divide. How wonderful to be reminded that good people have all kinds of politics.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home