Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

This is your brain on TV

I had forgotten what a powerful anaesthetic television is for the mind. I came back to my hotel room just beat, ready to do another RGI flop into oblivion. Had Jeff not told me about the Subway down the street, I would never have even powered up to get something to eat. But I turned on the TV while I ate, and suddenly I was watching some vapid Vin Diesel movie, and in spite of my usually good taste, I kept watching. The thinking part of my brain kept rolling it's eyes, but the stress of the day started to fade . . . and then a little Law and Order, and a bit of a Julia Roberts movie, and I had almost, almost forgotten how depressing it is to be away from home in some hotel. Not that it made me happy, exactly . . . just dulled the pain. And maybe there are times when dull is not so bad . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home