Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Home Alone

Janet's mom was not doing well, and so Janet picked up the kids and went to Winston rather unexpectedly. I had an evening appointment in Henderson, upgrading a system in the off hours, so I had the completely unprecedented experience of coming home to an empty house in the middle of the night.

The first thing that strikes me is how very little relationship I have to the house itself. I can't lay my eyes on anything without thinking about what my family would be doing there . . . how Aidan jumps over that arm of the sofa, or how Malcolm peeks out the window as I come home.

The place seems a lot bigger when I'm the only one here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home