Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Friday, September 22, 2006

First fruits

(I was sick yesterday, and most of the evening before that, and I missed posting. I'd like to make up for lost time, especially since Bob just gave me such a nice shout-out for inspiring him with my do-it-every-day talk. ;-} )

Let me just go on the record now as saying that early morning is the absolute best time to work on the things that are most important to you. I spent a couple hours writing about spiritual stuff this morning, and traded some emails with SKS students, and I feel a million percent better. It's so much easier for me to face my regular job and the mundane requirements of my life when I feel grooved in on the things most important to me. It's vastly superior to waiting to do that stuff until the end of the day, when one is tired and discouraged and less-than-enthusiastic.

The monks at Mepkin have spoken of this precept -- they say you should "give the first fruits to God." The bulk of their spiritual practice -- three services of the daily office, plus time for reading and mediation -- takes place in the early morning hours, before they do anything else.

If you're finding the "do-it-every-day" advice to be difficult to implement, consider using the early morning. Aside from its other virtues, it is also a part of the day that few other people in your life will try to claim from you. Children, bosses, spouses, and telemarketers are usually not trying to get your attention at 5 am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home