Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Morality of Sleep

I passed out with Aidan when I put him to bed last night, and didn't wake up until 5 am. Sometimes I will go to bed early with the kids and then get up extra early in the morning, but 5 am barely qualifies as early, anymore, since the kids start stirring at 6:30 am and banish the peace.

I don't have a very good relationship with sleep. I sleep heavily and easily, but don't have much trouble functioning on six hours a day, which seems to be on the low end of most people's requirements. I should feel lucky about that, but mostly I still resent the need for sleep. I'm especially put out when my body suddenly demands more of it than I was prepared to give. I have fantasies about being one of those genetic freaks who need almost no sleep at all.

I'm just tired enough that I can't quite remember if I've written about this before. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home