Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Busman's Holiday

I'll be posting on the run during the holidays, I think, since I'm on the road and never know when my next internet connection will come from.

Of course, here I am trying to fix my mother-in-law's computer. Why do techies inevitably start fixing things when they ought to be relaxing. But it is oddly relaxing, though. A change is as good as a rest. After the noise and the hullaballoo of family and travel and playing with the kids, some quiet focus on a novel intellectual challenge is very calming. Plus it puts me back into myself, so to speak . . . I often feel rather disconnected during the holidays, because so much of my time is spent in ways completely un-like my usual routine.

Trite cliches about balance would usually surface at this point, which my Stoic breeding, German genes, and SKS training would strictly forbid. But work can be so pleasant in small doses.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home