Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Chronic Fatigue

Ok, so in the course of my flu I have been alternatively sympathetic to the dying, the perpetually sick, and the chronically pained. Now that I'm pulling out of it, my thoughts move to another class I never really gave much credit to, before: the chronically fatigued.

I never gave much thought to the whole chronic-fatigue thing, though I was mildly suspicious of it, like probably 90% of the American populace. "Shuuuure you're feeling tired all the time. Uh-huh. That must be terrible. Now why don't you get out of bed and get a job?" I felt reasonably safe in assuming it was a mental thing. But then a friend of mine, who was neither lazy nor stupid, came down with it, and I had to reevaluate. And recently I found my college roommate's wife is similarly afflicted.

Now my heart really goes out to them, because it's been three or four days since I've been hacking-coughing-sneezing sick, but I still feel as weak as a kitten. I managed to work on Thursday and Friday ok, but I could barely keep up with the kids in the back yard. I spent a couple hours with them today, and was so beat I had to sleep an hour and a half to recover. So I keep telling myself I'll get better . . . but days go by and I'm not better, and I'm starting to think, jeez, what if I never pull out of this. What if I stay tired forever?

Cherish your vitality while you've got it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home