Abandon Text!

W. H. Auden once said: "Poems are not finished; they are abandoned." I have been abandoning writing projects for many years, since only the pressure of deadline and high expectations ever got me to finish, or even start, anything of merit. This blog is an attempt to create a more consistent, self-directed writing habit. Hopefully a direction and voice will emerge.

Friday, March 10, 2006

My Computer has AIDS

So I come back from dinner, and poking around my computer I find that the McAfee Virus Center has been doing a background scan, and has found . . . 291 infected files. Jesus Christ! Who was asleep at the switch! I buy antivirus software to avoid this sort of thing . . .

So then I click through on the links to see what the offending virus is . . . and I find this curt description that says lots of executables are erroneously testing positive for infection, due to an error in the DAT files that were just distributed today, and that if you're not careful, McAfee might delete them.

As Harry would say: "Job opening!"

Somebody's head will certainly roll for that. And I certainly won't be renewing my McAfee subscription at this rate, either, if I have to worry about my computer suddenly getting an auto-immune disease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home